Thursday, November 18, 2010

PRECOGNITION

i believe in ghosts

Psychologist Professor Daryl Bem, of Cornell University, has been investigating the idea that some people can see the future before it happens. (paper on precognition)

In one experiment, volunteer students were shown two curtains on a computer screen.

The students were told that one curtain concealed a sexy picture.

The students were asked to choose one of the two curtains to open.

The students chose the curtain hiding the naughty picture more often than can be explained away by chance.

(When non-erotic pictures were used, the hit rate did not deviate from chance.)

The location of the sexy picture was randomly allotted by a computer.

Stunningly, the computer did NOT make its decision on location until just AFTER the student had chosen one curtain or the other.

This could suggest that the students were influencing future events.

Professor Bem carried out nine different experiments involving more than 1,000 volunteers.

All but one experiment suggested that telepathy and precognition do exist.

According to Bem, the odds against the combined result being due to chance, or being a statistical fluke, are 74billion to one.

Which of the following contains a 'sexy' picture?

(A) http://www.flickr.com/photos/christandl/5168260945/in/pool-721486@N25

(B) http://www.flickr.com/photos/supervito/5179575421/in/pool-1081451@N23

(A) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:603_-_B%C3%A9douine_(avant_1914).jpg

(B) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:El%27AujehPalmer.jpg


Can we really see the future?

Parapsychology: Lessons from the fringe

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1330596/Humans-psychic-powers-New-study-proves-future.html#ixzz15cR8ITIB

5 comments:

aferrismoon said...

Philip K. Dick wrote often about 'pre-cogs' and 'teeps'[telepaths] [ there was that film with Nicholas Cage - NEXT, which was based on a Dick book].

Anyhow I chose the sea.

The Art of Ballistics , in a mental sense , maybe a form of precognition.

Also all the 'noizzzze' may dampen our abilities

cheers

aferrismoon said...

Oddly Pavel Bem, the present Mayor of Prague will be replaced in the next week or so.

cheers

kenny's sideshow said...

Another form of precognition may be our subconscious taking what we know to a logical conclusion.

Aferris is correct. The 'noizzzze' is overwhelming. Our true nature mostly doesn't have a chance.

Diana said...

Yes I think we can see the future, or at least sense it to some degree.

What about those umpteen times we have a feeling someone is going to call that we hadn't heard from in ages, and they do?

I ran out of my college class crying on the 5th September 2001.My Professor grabbed me and took me to the coffee shop to calm me down. When he asked the reason for my distress, I told him that in a week there will be a horrible earthquake in America, as I could see people falling out of tall buildings, and a lot of devastation below.

However, it turned out to be the 911 event. I did not see planes in my vision, just the buildings and people. After it happened, my professor and others and my college mates asked me how I knew. I couldn't tell them. I just saw it.

AnnoyingJoe said...

Why not? Contemporary physics theory says poo-poo to our notion of time as a linear structure. Heck, Einstein knew as much without a macbook!

I chose the hot babe (A1). I thought it was one out of four, not two sets of two, so I was focusing on all four before I made my selection.

Pre-cog!

Wait...I see an erection in my future.

 
Site Meter