Wathelet - allegations of child abuse
In 1992, Belgian Justice Minister Melchior Wathelet released Marc Dutroux on parole.
Dutroux had served slightly more than three years of a 13 year sentence for raping young girls.
Dutroux was later convicted of having kidnapped, tortured and sexually abused six girls during 1995 and 1996, ranging in age from 8 to 19, two of whom he murdered. - Melchior Wathelet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following comes from Werkgroep Morkhoven :
"According to a police document from the Dutroux enquiry, obtained by The Sprout, serious allegations about Wathelet’s involvement in paedophilia came to light.
"In these documents, a police source and senior psychotherapist informed a colleague of a session he had been having with a client. The client disclosed the details of events in Verviers (where Wathelet was Mayor) during 1992. He spoke of orgies that had been taking place in a country house where two children had been involved.
"These children, between 8 and 10 years old, had come from a children’s home, with the complicity of the director of the home. The 'party', it is alleged in the police documents, was organised partly by Wathelet. The client reported his involvement in the parties to the children’s welfare office in Verviers and to the local police. In return he received threats from both organisations and from other parties...
"This case was never investigated; as the police report confirms: 'the 2 dossiers on the child welfare services have disappeared'.
"Three years after this report, Wathelet became Belgium’s Minister for Defence in June 1995 but was rapidly nominated to the post of Belgium’s representative at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, where he arrived on the 2nd September."
The Jersey Attorney General, William Bailhache ( AG defends rape case bail decision)
Sir Philip Bailhache, Bailiff of Jersey
According to The Times, 14 August 2008, the Jersey child abuse case appears to be being hampered by certain important people.
Jersey detective’s fury as release of abuse suspects 'scares off 'witnesses.
Lenny Harper, who was the senior detective in the Jersey child murder investigation, found the remains of five children in a former boys’ home on the island of Jersey (UK).
A memorandum from Lenny Harper claims that the investigation has been hampered by prosecutors in Jersey.
According to Harper, this is making the victims lose faith in the justice system; and it is making it harder to get witnesses to come forward because of fears that alleged perpetrators will not be put on trial.
Mr Harper claims that the island’s Attorney-General, William Bailhache, and his office are held in 'total contempt' by victims of child abuse after repeatedly failing to bring offenders to justice.
Mr Harper’s memo claims suspects are being freed without charge on apparently spurious grounds.
According to Harper: "This is illustrated by a briefing I have had from the NSPCC counsellor working alongside us. He has received a text message from a victim (which he has shown to me) to say ‘It is a joke. Another two walk away. No wonder no one will come forward’. "
Philip Sinel, lawyer for the Jersey Care Leavers’ Association, told prosecutors that crucial evidence was being withheld because victims did not trust the authorities. "My clients and others know far more than has been given to the police already," Mr Sinel said.
Mr Harper’s report discloses that William Bailhache, the Attorney-General, appointed a prosecution barrister, Simon Thomas, to the police inquiry.
Police claim that Mr Thomas advised them that a 70-year-old man and his wife, 69, believed to have been former foster parents, could be arrested and charged with grave and criminal assault.
The report states that Mr Thomas denied having given such advice.
They were taken into custody on June 24 but at 5pm Mr Thomas told detectives he had revised his view, citing as reasons that the wife was unwell, and that the couple’s children said their parents were 'good people'.
According to Harper, in another child abuse case, the police suffered delays after sending a file to Mr Thomas about Jane and Alan Maguire, who had run a care home. A previous prosecution against the Maguires for assault was dropped for lack of evidence in 1998 by Michael Birt, QC, then the Jersey Attorney-General.
Mr Birt is now the second most powerful judge as Deputy Bailiff.
The Maguires live in France and no extradition has been sought.
Sir Philip Bailhache, Bailiff, is head of Jersey's judiciary. He made a speech saying that no bodies had been found. As chairman of parliament he switched off a microphone when a senator tried to apologise for Jersey’s child abuse. He is the Attorney-General’s brother.
William Bailhache, QC, the Attorney-General, decides prosecutions and is legal adviser to the Jersey Government, in whose care the children had been placed. He was a partner in the law firm that represented alleged victims of Jane and Alan Maguire, who ran a care home. None of the clients received compensation.
Michael Birt, QC, Deputy Bailiff, was the Attorney-General who discontinued prosecution against the Maguires.
BBC news, on 9 August 2008, reminded us of some of the facts of the Jersey case.
Jersey 'victims' demand answers
About 100 people have alleged abuse between the early 1960s and 1986.
Jersey Police searched the former children's home called Haut de la Garenne and found what they believe is a skull fragment.
The police have found 65 milk teeth and more than 100 bone fragments at the home.
Sky News, on 14 August 2008, refers to how the victims in the Jersey child abuse case feel let down.
Jersey Probe: 'Victims Let Down'
Former residents spoke of rape, drugging and beatings at the hands of their carers.
Victims claim that they tried to come forward in the past but that their accusations were ignored.
The Telegraph, on 9 August 2008, refers to an 'old boy network' obstructing the police.
Jersey abuse case: 'Old boy network' is obstructing police .
Deputy Chief Officer Lenny Harper refers to people who have engaged in a "day by day attack" on the inquiry team and the alleged victims of abuse.
Mr Harper told the Telegraph: "I can quite clearly say that the investigation is being held up. There are people on the island who just don't want us going down the route of this inquiry."
Mr Harper gave details of why he is so convinced that someone deliberately concealed the bones and teeth of five children, perhaps after murdering them.
Mr Harper says that because some of the 100 bone fragments had been cut, and because the 65 milk teeth found at the home had roots on them, meaning they did not come out naturally, children were either murdered or their bodies were illegally concealed.
Police have 80 names of people suspected of physical and sexual abuse at Haut de la Garenne.
Harper said: "We are walking through treacle at the moment. One file has been with the Attorney General's office since April 29 and it's still showing no signs of moving at the moment.
Harper said of the bones: "They had been taken from one part of the building to another and put on top of the hard, compact, undisturbed original floor of the cellars. They had been spread about and covered with a thin layer of topsoil. Why would someone do that unless there was a deliberate attempt to conceal them?"
Mr Harper said tests on soot found with the bones showed they had been burned in a furnace in another part of the building, while archaeological evidence suggested they had been concealed in the 1960s or 70s.